It’s been quite some time since I posted a recipe but I couldn’t resist sharing this one with you. These muffins would make a great treat for this weekend’s breakfast!
A few weeks ago, hubby and I decided to do a 15-day detox diet to help get our weight and unhealthy eating habits under control. We were both pleased with the results and are working to incorporate more fruits and veggies into our diets and eat less meat.
I’m not a big breakfast eater but I’ve always been a fan of muffins. Unfortunately, a lot of muffins are less healthy than eating a slice of cake.
When I stumbled across a recipe for low-calorie zucchini (courgette) muffins, I decided to tweak it a bit and this is what I came up with.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1.5 cups zucchini shredded
- 1 cup Halloumi cheese crumbled (you could also use feta in a pinch)
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 1.5 tbsp lemon zest
- Preheat your oven to 350⁰ F (or 175⁰ C) and grease a muffin tin or use cupcake papers for easy cleaning.
- Stir the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and oil together using a mixer or food processor until smooth.
- Stir in the zucchini, cheese, tomatoes and lemon zest.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Spoon into muffin pan/cups and bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes then remove from pan and cool on a rack.
These will keep for a few days in the fridge or you can freeze them for a couple of months.
Approximately 297 calories per muffin
If you bake these muffins, I’d love to know what you think! Leave your comments below.