So… obviously my skillet skills need some work, but here is my first try at french toast sticks! I had a good chunk of this Sweet Hawaiian bread left and thought it would come out best as sticks! It did not disappoint.
- Bread, cut into sticks [I used this bread, and it was a few days old]
- 2 or 3 eggs, depending on how many you’re making
- Splash of milk or cream
- Vanilla, cinnamon, and/or nutmeg to taste
- Butter, for your skillet
- Cut your bread to desired strip size.
- Whisk eggs with a splash or two of milk or cream in a bowl.
- Add in vanilla, nutmeg, and/or cinnamon.
- Soak the bread strips in the mixture, turning to coat.
- Add at least 1 tbsp of butter to a skillet (I used a cast iron pan).
- When hot and butter begins to melt, add battered sticks to pan.
- Let each stick cook on all four sides until they turn a desired color and texture. I don’t like soggy french toast, which is why mine turned out a little “well done”.
I have no doubt that french toast turning will improve with practice! Enjoy You can also add a little bit of orange juice to the batter to give your french toast sticks a little more flavor. I love mine dipped in pancake syrup!