I’ve been meaning to post this for ages! Mike and I made this a while ago with some awesome chicken sausage and some great jersey tomatoes. Sometimes we just like to chop and cook together while we dance to music and get a fast, delicious dinner together. This one is pretty healthy, too (we think)!
Sausage & Jersey Tomato Skillet DInner
- 2 tbsp olive oil (we used meyer lemon flavored oil from a great boutique here in New Jersey)
- 2 tbsp garlic (we used minced in the jar)
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 package chicken sausage, sliced
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- artichoke hearts (optional – marinated and in jar)
- diced jalapeno (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet until warm. Add garlic, stir, and let the garlic become more fragrant. Add onions and cook until the onions start to become tender.
- Add pepper and carrot. Cook until the veggies become more tender (or to your liking). They will still cook more!
- Keep cooking everything on medium/low heat. Add in sausage, lemon juice, tomatoes, and seasonings. You can add in the jalapeno at this time at well. Mix everything in well and let it cook until the tomatoes start to break down and the chicken sausage is heated thoroughly.
- Add the artichoke hearts (if using) to the skillet and heat with the rest of the dish. Be careful – some of the hearts might be bitter!
- Serve piping hot over delicious pasta – we used cavatappi!
Here is our finished dish! You can sub soo many things in this dish. You could make it more saucey, if you like, and add tomato paste or plain sauce. You could add butter and get really naughty 😉 You could switch up the veggies.. or add cheese! We love topping ours with parmesan and /or mozzarella! Ohhhh yes. Enjoy!