One of my favorite perks about our new kitchen is the fact that we have room to stock pile ingredients. We also have a giant chest freezer in our basement, so keeping things in stock like meat and cheese is really easy! This lets us make recipes at the drop of a hat and is something I really like. There is something to be said about having a meal plan – but it is also really great to be able to stray from that and make a variety of dishes without having to worry about if you have the ingredients.
So, I bring you our spur of the moment Cheddar Broccoli Chicken Casserole!
- Fresh broccoli crowns
- 1 pound (or less) boneless chicken, uncooked
- 8oz cream cheese
- heavy cream (I think light would work, or milk!)
- cheddar cheese (or whatever you’d like to use!)
- spices (pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano)
- crushed ritz crackers (we used about 1/2 a sleeve)
- This one is super easy, folks! Steam your broccoli, but don’t let it cook all the way.
- In a medium saucepan, melt your cream cheese with some heavy cream. Add a little bit and add more as the cheese melts to thin out your sauce. If you want it thinner, add more cream or milk.
- Add in the cheddar or other cheeses and keep stirring. You want to keep the cheese sauce on low so you don’t burn your pan.
- Spice the sauce with what you like, we think the oregano gives some punch!
- While the sauce is combining, cut your chicken into bite sized pieces. Throw them and your broccoli into a casserole dish.
- When the sauce is to your liking, add it to the casserole and mix to combine. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees until you can see that the chicken is mostly done.
- Add additional cheddar cheese to the top if you like and top the casserole with ritz cracker pieces/crumbs. Cook until the chicken is totally cooked and the top is golden brown!