My husband often laments that I am not a “fish person”. I have never been the first one to order or cook fish because I definitely didn’t grow up eating it. Once I tried tilapia more recently at a friend’s house, I really got hooked! Before I did that I bought pre-breaded tilapia at my warehouse club and it was good but way too expensive. So, I bought some frozen tilapia filets and put my own spin on it. I really love coconut breaded shrimp so here is my take on breaded tilapia… with a little kick!
- 2 tilapia filets (I made this for only me and hubs tonight. very easy to double!)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 1 cup Chipotle Panko breadcrumbs (4C brand)
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- cooking spray (I used olive oil in my Misto sprayer)
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- Grab a baking sheet or oven safe dish – I lined mine with cooking paper
- Be sure that your tilapia is totally defrosted and clean.
- In a bowl, wisk together egg and milk
- On a shallow plate or in a bowl, combine breadcrumbs and coconut
- Dredge filets in egg/milk mixture (leave them in the bowl a while) and then transfer to coat with breading combination
- Press breading into fish to cover all of the fish
- Transfer to pan
- Spray olive oil on top of fish, this will ensure you get nice browning and a crunch!
- Cook at 400° for 20 minutes. Halfway through, I took mine out and sprayed a little bit more olive oil on top
I hope you like it! I served mine with wild rice with veggies. I LOVE sauce and ate mine with Trader Joe’s sweet chili sauce. You could ALSO whip up a lighter ranch dressing or tarter sauce to go with this. One day I will also attempt a pina colada sauce that is so often used for coconut shrimp… I think that would be tasty on this as well. The only thing I wish I had changed about this was the amount I cooked! I know one piece of fish is enough but I could have eaten two!